The American Bobtail is an uncommon breed of domestic cat which was developed in the late 1960s. It is most notable for its stubby “bobbed” tail about one-third to one-half the length of a normal cat’s tail. This is the result of a cat body type genetic mutation affecting the tail development, similar to that of a Manx cat.The breed is not related to the Japanese Bobtail despite the similar name and physical type—the breeding programs are entirely unrelated, and the genetic mutation causing the bobbed tail are known to be different because the mutation causing the American Bobtail‘s tail is dominant, whereas the Japanese Bobtail tail mutation is recessive.
American Bobtails are a very sturdy breed, with both short- and long-haired coats. Their coat is shaggy rather than dense or fluffy. They can have any color of eyes and coat, with a strong emphasis on the “wild” tabby appearance in show animals.
Looking at Physical Characteristics
- Look at the short tail. The most distinctive characteristic of the American bobtail cat is the short tail, which is about a third to half the length of the average cat tail. The tail may be straight, slightly curved or slightly bumpy. Every cat has a slightly different tail, but they are all quite short.
- Check out the long hind legs. One of the reasons this cat looks like a bobcat is that it has very long hind legs. The hind legs are a bit longer than the front legs, which gives them a very alert and dynamic stance.
- Notice how the eyes are shaped like almonds. The eyes are wild-looking and have an almond shape, which is quite distinctive. The brow and the eyes give the cat a hunting gaze and make it look very smart.
- Observe the broad head and medium-sized muzzle. If you look at the face of the cat, you will notice a fairly broad head, wedged inward, with soft whisker pads and a medium muzzle. You will also see a fairly well-sculpted chin.
- Look for the rectangular stance, high hips and broad chest. If the cat is standing still, you will be able to see that it has a fairly rectangular stance. If you look at the chest, it will look pretty full compared to other cats. Looking at the long hind legs, you will notice that they are attached to hips fairly high up on the body.
- Feel the medium to long shaggy coat. The coat may come in any color or pattern. They often have grey, brown or earth tones.
- Observe their athleticism. The American bobtail cat is quite strong and well built. They make use of this strength with a great deal of athleticism and dexterity. They may climb trees, jump, or chase toys or rodents.
- Notice their intelligence. The American bobtail cat is very intelligent and quite active. It will look for activities to engage its intelligence.They love to problem solve and will often escape small rooms.
- See if they want to play. American bobtail cats will often initiate games with their owners. You may be sitting on the couch enjoying a television show, and they will come to you with a toy for you to throw. If there is nobody around, they may occupy themselves with interactive cat games such as cat towers or scratch pads.
- See if they stalk their toys. As a result of their intelligence and love of hunting, the American bobtail cat will often carry around toys as if they were freshly caught mice or other rodents. Provide these toys instead of letting your cat outdoors to hunt.
- Notice the affectionate and accommodating qualities. American bobtail cats love their families and show a great deal of affection. They are also relatively accommodating to other animals in the house, including dogs. Given their affectionate, confident and accommodating qualities, this breed is very good for therapeutic purposes.
- Find out if they were chosen for particular personality traits. This breed can serve particular roles for an individual or family because of its personality traits. For instance, it is very sensitive to individuals with anxiety and stress disorders. As a result, they are often recommended to people for therapeutic purposes.They are often also used by long-haul truck drivers, since they are good travelers.